Monday, November 19, 2007

DeVries 77% Costa Rican Trinitario Dark Chocolate

Cocoa content: 77%
Sugars per serving: unknown
Website: http://www.devrieschocolate.com/
Other notables: Made in Denver, Colorado

Smoooooooth. Smooth. Smooth. This is the smoothest chocolate I have ever had. The cocoa beans are conched for over three days, which must be part of it. The chocolate comes as two 1.15 ounce bars wrapped in clear plastic. I ordered mine from their website.

Smell
This chocolate has a distinct olive-like scent, which must come from the Costa Rican trinitario cacao variety. There is nothing else to smell.

Snap
This is also the snappiest chocolate I have had. The chocolate is solid and actually requires some effort (either hands or teeth) to snap off a piece.

Taste
Did I say smooth yet? There is no hint of chalkiness or graininess in this bar, just exquisitely smooth chocolate. It melts slowly, with a pronounced chocolate flavor. The olive-like quality of the chocolate is also present in its taste, along with a nice strong, roasted chocolate flavor. This is pure, unadulterated chocolate. Despite the small size of the bars, I ate them in several sittings, because it doesn't take much to get a big do

Last Thoughts
This is the highest quality chocolate I've ever tasted. It is good and strong. I love how there are just two ingredients -- cocoa beans and cane sugar. Nothing gets in the way of the chocolate flavor, a flavor that tastes unique to the location and variety of the beans it came from.

The only reason I don't give this chocolate 5 out of 5 is that I don't love the olive-like flavor of this variety.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Aztec Dudes

No comments: