Monday, March 19, 2007

Review: Endangered Species Extreme Dark Chocolate

Cocoa content: 88%
Sugars per serving: 8 g
Website: http://www.chocolatebar.com/

Everything about this bar is intense. When I opened the wrapper, there was a strong smell of chocolate, with a bit of sweetness, like a burnt sweet smell. The chocolate breaks with a solid snap.

Wow. The flavor is quite smooth for a chocolate with 88% cocoa. The bitterness is well balanced. The chocolate melts smoothly in the mouth, with a little chalkiness.

There's a quality that some high-cocoa content chocolate has, where it feels like the chocolate is completely sucking the moisture out of your mouth (I'm sure there's a more scientific description of it, but moisture-sucking works for me). I get only a faint hint of that with this chocolate, although it was more noticeable with the more pieces I ate.

The aftertaste is mostly bitter, with a mild sweetness. This is not a bar I could finish in one (or two or three) sittings -- it's good, but it's too strong.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Aztec Dudes

No comments: